Throwing can build so much confidence in children! Practice with lots of different types of objects, big and small, to help encourage and build their technique.
Steps to Throwing
- Stand with your non-throwing shoulder towards target
- Transfer weight from back to lead front foot
- Rotate hips and spine
- Stretch arm far back to make an uppercase "L"
- Step with foot opposite of throwing arm
- Throwing arm moves forward
- Let the ball go in the direction of target
- Allow throwing arm to follow through to target
What to Watch For
- Always step forward with opposite foot
- Transfer weight from back to front foot for more force
- Practicing overheard throwing is great for distance! See how far you can throw!
- Playing games is the best way to practice throwing