Running is important in so many activites for children! Whether in sports or just on the playground, we want children to feel confident moving their feet quickly!
Steps to Running
- Head and trunk stable
- Eyes focused forward and watching where you are going
- Land on ball of foot
- High knee lift (thigh almost parallel to fround)
- Bend elbows at 90 degrees
- Your arms should swing forward and backward — not across your body
- Your feet should land under your body
- Remember, try not to slap the ground — running is quiet!
What to Watch For
- Arms should stay at the side of the body
- Legs shouldn't go out to the side — try to keep them in line with your body
- Younger children love to run — and they don't need a large space to do so! Even a small, safe space can allow for lots of practice time for playing games
- If you're running fast for a short distance, keep those knees lifted high. If you're running a longer distance, you'll want to do a smaller knee lift and do shorter strides.
- Always have water on hand