Skipping is a great activity that all children should learn. It's fun, easy, and can be incorporated into lots of different games and activites. It's also a great skill to develop coordination.
Steps to Skipping
- Lead leg steps forward and then hops
- Back leg steps in front of lead leg then hops
- Continue this step-hop, step-hop motion
- Swing arms in opposition to legs
- Balls of feet should contact floor softly
- Always look forward
What to Watch For
- Landing flat footed or heel first. Remember — skipping should be a quiet movement
- Eyes should be looking forward
- Arms swinging together rather than in opposition to legs
- Challenge the children to skip as quietly as they can
- Once they have the movement, practice with lots of games.
- Change the pace from a slow skip to a quicker skip