Catcing is a complex skill and can take some practice. Hand-eye coordination is very important to track the ball when catching. Practicing and starting slow is the best way to succeed.
Steps to Catching
- Keep your eyes on the ball/object
- Body in line with the ball/object being caught
- Arms out and ready for the catch
- Hands and fingers are relaxed
- Slightly cupped hands to catch the object
- Close hands and fingers to grip the ball duing catch
- Bend elbows o absorb throw
What to Watch For
- Make sure eyes are following the object
- Remind kids to use their hands not their arms to catch the ball
- Elbows should be slightly bent
- If child is nervous to catch, you can start by rolling it on the ground to them
- Catching can be scary! Try first using a balloon, foam balls, or beach balls.